May is Mental Health Awareness Month. I am going to give you a few ideas on how to protect your mental health, which is extremely important for us to do with all the changes and challenges that we see around us daily. I will add a few new ideas throughout the month, so come back and check it out.
- In order to maintain both your mental and emotional health, it is vital to stay aware of your own needs and feelings. Never allow your stress and emotions to build up. Attempt to maintain a good balance between your normal responsibilities and the things that you enjoy. Do things that positively impact others. Being useful to others and being valued for what you can help build self-esteem. Practice self-discipline as self-discipline leads to a sense of happiness and accomplishment, which can help you overcome feelings of helplessness and other negative thoughts.
- Depression is one of the most common mental health problems today. Statics show that this affects approximately 1.5 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year. While medications can be effective in helping you feel better, there are other things you can do to ease Depression.
- Do not sleep too often. Staying in bed or taking naps throughout the day will only worsen depression and make it much harder to cope with. Try your hardest to wake up at the same time each morning and go to sleep at the same time every night. This may be difficult, but it will become easier once you get into a routine.
- Eat well. A healthy and balanced diet will not only help the way you feel, but will also improve your thought patterns. Eat regularly and aim to eat 3 balanced meals each day. Quality food is vital in order for your mind and body to work properly.
- Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself to things that are calming and improve your mood. Scented candles, bubble baths, and tranquil environment can help you feel better. Find relaxing activities that help you unwind. Listening to music or reading are a few examples. Allowing yourself even just 15 minutes of downtime can make all the difference.
- Practice self-acceptance. Do NOT let others define you. Accept yourself for who you are; not who others would like you to be. There is not a single person in this world that is perfect, everyone possesses good qualities as well as bad qualities. Many different qualities, including personality, background, character and sexuality make us who we are. Everyone in this world has something to offer, and everyone is entitled to respect. If any two of us were alike, one of us would be unnecessary. More on this to come….